Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Main Street Electrical Parade, Back on Main Street

I almost forgot that being here at Walt Disney World brought with it a very important thing: The Main Street Electrical Parade.

The Parade
It's been quite a while since I've last seen the classic parade, and I've only seen it on Main Street. We never messed with that California Adventure stuff.

In those many years, I've listened to the theme song dozens of times, in the car with my mom, on my iPod, wherever and whenever. It's got to be in the top 10 of my favorite Disney songs. It's got everything the essential classic Disney songs needs: an upbeat tempo, whimsy, and basically all the famous Disney songs worked into it. That last part definitely helps.

Now, I'm not the biggest Disney parades fan. I watched them when I was little, but when I was little, there were much better. So it could be me aging that caused me to become disinterested, or over the ages the parades provided little to be interested in. I mean, c'mon, I grew up in the era of the Lion King parade and the original Main Street Electrical parade. I was spoiled.

One of the newer features, using the same tech
used for Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion
 and Buzz Lightyear on his Spin

To prove my devotion, I waited on the curb, alone, surrounded by Brazilians. Our culture over here in the US, it's not anything similar to those down by the Amazon. Their sense of space is nonexistent, something us Americans don't understand. One person picked up my bag without warning, and when I snatched it back, his "Sorrrr-eee" made me look like the bad guy. But I could deal, because I was about to see the ultimate parade of my childhood.

And then the lights on Main Street went out, I stood up, and the thousands of lights began making their way down Main Street, and that familiar tune began pumping through the Magic Kingdom speakers, and I became giddy.

It was just as I remembered, with al the different Disney characters and their accompany techno music. There were some new tweaks, but overall, it kept its classic integrity, even after the trip from California to Florida.

Lucky for me, I'll be working in the park most nights, so I will definitely be seeing the parade again, and again, and again, and I'm alright with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment