Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Two Weeks into the Disney College Program

Today marks the two week milestone of me being in the Disney College Program. I am happy about this.

My Liberty Square Costume
These past two weeks have been fun, but I am definitely glad they are over. If you read my last post, I talked a lot about training. It’s over now, and I have officially earned my ears. I could take the little red ribbon off my name tag at this point, if I wanted to, but I don’t. I don’t feel like I know enough about the Magic Kingdom, which is a little frustrating. If I were at Disneyland, I could tell people about anything, anywhere in the park. Not so with MK, but that is the precise reason why I chose to do the program here in Orlando rather than in Anaheim. Knowledge is power, and I want to have as much power as possible.

On my schedule, I am set up to work at stands in Tomorrowland, Frontierland and Liberty square. Which means I had to pick up three costumes, which I think is great fun. Not only do I get to experience working in all over the park, I get to wear all the costumes of all the different areas. This might annoy some people, but to me it’s just one more part of the Disney magic I get to experience. Though the knee-high pants for the liberty square garb have a funky crotch.

I get to work in view of a castle. Awesome. 
Eventually, I’ll get to work in Adventureland and on Main Street, the latter which I am really looking forward to. This past week, I got to work at an ice cream stand in Liberty Square, and when I closed, I got to watch the Main Street Electrical parade. The fact that 20 feet in front of where I worked for the day, the Main Street Electrical parade went by, and I got to watch it, really puts into perspective the unique nature of my job.

I’m very happy to finally be done with training, and to get to be on stage by myself, interacting with the guests five days a week. I’m sure I’ll have a few bad days, but I’m optimistic about the future. When I’m working, the day flies by, and I barely notice I’m working. My feet and back hurt after a while, and those are the only indicators. I really am looking forward to the next six-and-a-half months of going to work at the Magic Kingdom five days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment